How to Hire an Apprentice
If you’re ready to start enjoying the benefits apprenticeship can bring your business, here are some tips on how to hire an apprentice:
- Ask your employees if any of them would like to learn a new trade.
- Tell your employees you want to hire an apprentice–they may now someone who is interested.
- Talk to trade or industry associations or unions.
- Speak to your local secondary school. ITA offers youth programs that help students get a head start in their trades careers.
- Advertise on your website, job search websites, or in newspapers.
Hire an apprentice through ITA programs
ITA offers several programs that help Indigenous Peoples, women, immigrants, and youth connect with employers who want to hire apprentices.
- Contact your local Aboriginal service agency, First Nations Band Office, or Tribal Council and ask about the Aboriginal Skills and Employment Training Strategy (ASET). Learn more about Indigenous Peoples in Trades .
- Connect with immigrants who want to add value to your business through apprenticeship. To learn more, read our Immigrants in Trades Training Employer Fact Sheet or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Connect with women interested in apprenticeship through our Women in Trades Training (WITT) initiative. Learn more by reading our WITT Employer Fact Sheet or send us an email at email@example.com.