A Welder is a person who has training in and is capable of welding ferrous and non-ferrous metals in all positions, on both plate and/or pipe, using various welding processes. Certified welders qualify for testing with CSA, Technical Safety BC and for ASME procedures in British Columbia.
Certified welders may apply to Technical Safety BC for their pressure welder certificate of qualification, provided they meet eligibility criteria and pass the standardized certification exam. Once certified as pressure welders, individuals must complete additional performance qualification test(s) in accordance with any registered welding procedure specification in order to perform pressure welding in BC.
Welders use a logbook to record training, competencies, certifications, endorsements and employment history. Please refer to the Welder Logbook Information Sheet for further details.
PRACTICAL SKILLS CHECKLIST
ITA, with the help of Industry and Welding Instructors, has developed a PRACTICAL SKILLS CHECKLIST to identify an apprentice’s skill level prior to registering for technical training.
The purpose of this tool is to:
NOTE: Training Providers may request this program support tool with an apprentice’s registration for technical training.
|Your Welder Trade Certification Guidebook|
Optional Endorsement: The MPAW Endorsement enables a welder to weld specialised alloys, by any manual welding process, in any position, and such other work as is usually done by a Red Seal Certified Welder. *To register for this program you must hold either a Welder – Certificate of Qualification with Interprovincial Red Seal Endorsement OR a Welder B – Certificate of Qualification with Interprovincial Red Seal Endorsement.*
For more information on the MPAW Endorsement please refer to the Welder Endorsement - Multi-Process Alloy Welding (MPAW) page.
- January 2020: Transition Update (Year 4)
- February 2017: Transition Plan
- February 2017: Program Update (Transition Summary)
- August 2016: OPSN-2016-014 (Harmonization)
- OPSN Archives
- If you have any questions, please refer to this Welder Program FAQ, or contact ITA Customer Service
Standardized Level Exam (SLE) Updates
SLE Weighting Charts
Interprovincial Exam Updates
Interprovincial Exam Information
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 218.85 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 1.13 MB)
- Foundation Outline
- Guidelines for the delivery of pre-apprenticeship training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 830.31 KB)
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
- How to Apply
- Download(PDF 260.34 KB)
- Application Form
- Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)
- Download(PDF 173.84 KB)
- Employer Declaration
- Document of relevant work experience
- Download(PDF 57.09 KB)
- Statutory Declaration
- Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted
- Download(PDF 72.4 KB)